School Holidays: Things to Do in January
To: 31 January 2022
Looking for something to entertain the family over summer? Why not fill January with arts and cultural events inspired by Mirka Mora and much more. Start with MIRKA (open until 30 January), then explore Melbourne’s museums and galleries, get outdoors in nature, and broaden your horizons with multicultural events!
Ongoing in January
- Mirka’s St Kilda Self Guided Walk: experience the world through Mirka Mora’s eyes with a self-guided tour of the City of Port Phillip
- Being Mirka at the Immigration Museum: explore the many wonderful facets of Melbourne’s cultural icon Mirka Mora through precious objects from the Museum’s Mirka Mora collection
- Mirka Magic at the Immigration Museum: explore the many elements that make up your identity with a self-guided activity inspired by the life and works of Mirka Mora in an activity space created by Abbey Rich
Friday 21 January
- MIRKA craft session at Sandringham Library: make your very own Mirka Mora-inspired articulated doll – yours to colour in, cut out and keep!
Saturday 22 January
- School Holiday Workshop: Ancient Greek Warrior or Warrioress for a Day at the Hellenic Museum: make your very own warrior queen or hoplite shield to re-enact the epic phalanx military formation used by Alexander the Great
Saturday 29 January
- AND/OR panel discussion at the Immigration Museum: join artists from the AND/OR program for a discussion exploring the complexities of intersectional identities
- Night at the Museum: Minus18 Youth Party at the Immigration Museum: a celebration of LGBTQIA+ youth community, featuring performers, competitions, snacks, glitter, pride vibes – and exclusive access to view the Immigration Museum’s Becoming You exhibition after dark